Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Journal #3


To what degree do you think you really understand the needs of your students and what they need for the 21st century? How wide is the “gap” between them and you? In what areas are the gaps? What can you do to make connections?

Although it is difficult to answer this question with 100% certainty, I like to believe that I’m pretty well prepared for the needs of my students in the 21st century. I base this belief primarily on my own personal reliance and fascination with technology, something I believe will increasingly permeate education. Technology is an ever evolving monster and its most avid consumer is the adolescent. Our students are literally surrounded by technology and thrive because of it. To be able to relate to them on this level one must do the same, something I am not shy of doing.

Another reason I believe I am ready to meet the needs of my students is because our world (due in large part to the advancement of technology) is an ever shrinking one. What I mean by this is it is increasingly easier to socialize and collaborate with citizens of other countries. The internet, something that used to be exclusive to only those with means, is practically free now in many countries and because of this will get used more and more. Socializing and collaborating with others from different countries is something I will do naturally due in large part to the fact that I lived in several countries when I was younger. I’m used to speaking different languages, participating in different customs, and relating to others who had a much different experience growing up than I did. Encouraging my students to do the same when possible is only natural for me as I see the benefit of this. It breaks down barriers, builds strong relationships across wide gaps, and increasingly pushes a country’s citizen to become a global citizen.

The gap between my students and I is wider than some but not smaller than most other teachers. I watch the same shows, I play the same games, and I read about a lot of the same things they read about. Granted, in terms of maturity and the way we relate to our peers, I am obviously going to be different than them. The way I talk to my friends is going to be quite a bit different than the way they talk to theirs. I don’t see this as a barrier though. The way I see it is it is good to be different on some levels. I’m their teacher first and their friend second. This relationship needs to be established and maintained if there is going to be any order and respect maintained within the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment